Office of Student Activities & Involvement

Office of Student Activities and Involvement

Phone: 989.774.3016 / Fax: 989.774.6573


Web Page:

         Policy Manual and Guide to Running Student Organizations at CMU


Need to Know Policies for RSOs:

1. Advocacy Policy

2. Alcohol Policy

3. Chalking Policy 

4. Club Sports Policy

5. Computer Use Policy 

6. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act 

7. Fundraising Policy

8. Hazing Policy 

9. Non-discrimination Act

10. SIC Rules of Conduct 

11. Use of Space 

12. Tailgating Policy

13. CMU Name, Identifying Marks, and Trademark Policy 

RSO Manual 

This Registered Student Organization Manual is a guide, and resource to help students involved in co-curricular activities get the most out of those activities. The information contained within this Student Organization Manual applies to facets of the participation in, and the leadership of, Registered Student Organizations, clubs and other organizations that constitute a large part of the co-curricular programs at Central Michigan University. As a means of experiencing the opportunities and benefits of co-curricular activities students are encouraged to form or join student organizations. An organization requesting status as a Registered Student Organization agrees to abide by all policies and conditions outlined in the Student Organization Manual.  Central Michigan University provides benefits to student organizations (referred to as "Student Orgs") to assist them in conducting these activities; however, the provision of University benefits to Student Organizations should not be misinterpreted as meaning Student Organizations are part of, or controlled by the University, (exceptions: CMU Student Government Association; CMU Residence Hall Assembly; and CMU Program Board) that the University is responsible for the RSO's contracts or other acts or omissions, or that the University approves of the RSO's goals or activities. The Student Organizations are free to exist and operate either with or without University benefits.

This Student Organization manual describes the entire relationship between the University and Student Organizations, including all of the University benefits Student Organizations may receive, and all of the conditions for their receipt. This RSO manual is the only source of any control the University may have over the RSO or its activities, except to the extent, if any, the University chooses to exercise control over activities occurring on its property, or over matters covered by the University's Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Disciplinary Procedures.  The Office of Student Activities and Involvement reserves the right to grant or deny RSO status.


What is a Registered Student Organization?

A Registered Student Organization at Central Michigan University is any group consisting primarily of students enrolled at CMU, and formed to contribute to those students' educational growth, recreation, and/or personal development. Most importantly, a Registered Student Organization is registered with the Office of Student Activities and Involvement.

Privileges of Registered Student Organizations

Registration of student groups is a privilege and is not intended to restrict the free association of students in non-registered groups. Upon registering, student organizations gain several privileges, including:

1. The use of University facilities and services for meetings and approved activities when available.

2. The opportunity to conduct approved fundraising projects on campus.

3. The opportunity to participate in and coordinate activities with other Registered Student Organizations.

4. The right to apply for a University mailbox when available and the use of a mailing address at Central Michigan University.

5. The opportunity to apply for funding through the Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC) for all campus projects, programs, and conferences.

6. The opportunity for participation in new student orientation and the annual Student Activities Fairs (MainStage & The Student Org Spotlight) as well as events like Get Organized and the Student Organization Achievement and Recognition (SOAR) banquet.

7. The opportunity to nominate candidates for Homecoming Gold Ambassadors.

8. The opportunity to participate in the student organizational leadership programs.

The Registration Process

In order to be eligible for the privileges and services available to student organizations, an organization must register with the Office of Student Activities and Involvement and have a minimum of three current Central Michigan University student members (University Center 101, 989.774.3016). Organization Re-registration must be completed by September 15th each year. Student Organizations will not be allowed to book space until this process is complete.

The Registration of Organizations is done online using OrgSync:

  1. The President of the Organization must log in to OrgSync to complete the registration
  2. Student Organizations must have 3 current student members
  3. Student Organizations must have an advisor and the advisor must complete "Advisor Approval Form".
  4. Upload an up-to-date constitution and bylaws. A sample constitution can be found here. The local constitution must contain the following information:
  • The name of the organization
  • The purpose(s) of the organization
  • Requirements for membership
  • Method of officer selection
  • Impeachment proceedings
  • A statement about the disbursement of organizational funds should the organization be dissolved
  • A non-discrimination clause (see example in Article II Section B.1 of the sample constitution)

6. The president must complete the risk management form. (This is automatically emailed after the OrgSync upload is complete.)

7. Officers of Student Organizations must be in good academic standing (minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA required), free of disciplinary probation, and be registered for at least six semester hours of credit at CMU during their term in office. The Office of Student Activities and Involvement can access these records at any time. It is recommended that minimum standards for the membership of the Student Organizations should require that members have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and be free of disciplinary probation. Organizations are encouraged to set membership standards higher than 2.0 in an effort to strive for academic excellence.


In the event any of the requirements above for registration are not completed/met the student organization will not obtain "Registered" status. Other conditions for losing "Registered" status include, but are not limited to:

a.  Organizations with outstanding university debt will lose recognition by the university until all debts have been resolved.

b.  Campus Conduct issues may result in a loss of "Registered" status.

c.  Failing to follow the organization's constitution.

Fraternity and Sorority Life

Fraternities and Sororities will be held to the same standards as all other student organization except in the situations that follow:

In order to be eligible for the privileges and services available to student organizations, the fraternity or sorority must be registered with the Office of Student Activities and Involvement and have a minimum of three (3) student members currently enrolled at Central Michigan University. In the event that the organization falls below the membership minimum, the organization will be given a probationary period of one (1) semester to increase to at least three (3) members.  If the chapter fails to meet the membership minimum after the probationary period, the chapter will no longer be a recognized student organization. The organization will be considered “inactive” and will need to complete the registration process with the Office of Student Activities and Involvement.

Each chapter is required to achieve at least a 2.50 GPA each semester.  The minimum standard for membership in fraternities and sororities is at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average. 

Learn more about FSL policies and procedures here

Services provided through OrgSync

Through OrgSync, Student Organizations have the ability to:

  • Maintain a customizable website
  • Manage Email lists 
  • Swipe students into meetings and events (Card Swipers available for check out through the Office of Student Activities and Involvement, UC 101)
  • Store unlimited file and photos
  • Create unlimited forms and polls

Upon registration, all student organizations receive an OrgSync portal with these benefits. The Office of Student Activities and Involvement can assist if you organization is interested in learning more about how to use this. 

Student Involvement Center (SIC) 

The SIC is a space for all organizations to gather and meet in a community like environment. Students should be respectful of other organizations utilizing this space. At no time may an organization reserve this space or ask another group to leave to accommodate their meeting. Student Organizations may not leave stuff in the SIC unless it is contained to an assigned storage cabinet.

Use of Student Involvement Center Mailboxes

If you would like to request a mailbox, please contact the Office of Student Activities and Involvement. Student Organizations should pick up their mail at least twice a week. To have mail sent to your mailbox, use the following address format:

Organization's Name

Box #

Bovee UC

Mount Pleasant, MI 48859

Storage Cabinets

Storage Cabinets are available to student organization on a first come, first served basis. A wait list will be maintained when no cabinets are available through the Office of Student Activities and Involvement. Student Organizations may not store flammable materials, paint, aerosol cans, food, or other dangerous/risky objects in these cabinets.

 The Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC) 

The Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC) is a constitutional committee of the Student Government Association. Each year the SBAC is responsible for allocating funds, generated from the CMU promise and administered through the Campus Programming Fund, to Registered Student Organizations who request funds for programming and conferences. The committee is made up of student representatives representing the various types of student organizations (Greek Life, professional, multicultural, academic, etc.).

Learn more about SBAC policies and procedures here:


SBAC/Office of Student Activities and Involvement On-Campus Accounts

In order to comply with the policies and regulations of Central Michigan University, all funds and allocations received by student organizations from the Student Budget Allocation Committee (SBAC) will be issued as a reimbursement.


For further information on procedures and guidelines for using an On-Campus Account maintained by SBAC/Office of Student Activities and Involvement, contact the Administrative Clerk in the Office of Student Activities and Involvement (101 Bovee University Center, 774-3016).


Financial Accounts

Managing Organizational Accounts

With different types of funds available to organizations also comes the need to manage those funds. Depending on the funding source, the organization may have an off-campus checking account at a local bank, an on-campus account for a specific event maintained by SBAC and the Office of Student Activities and Involvement, or an on-campus account maintained by an academic/administrative department outside the Office of Student Activities and Involvement.


Off-Campus Accounts

For RSO monies that are not from SBAC (University), it is recommended that Student Organizations open off-campus banking accounts. While the University does not regulate these accounts, it does make the following strong recommendations to student organization officers:

  • Each Registered Student Organization must have two members counter-sign checks from off- campus accounts. Two counter-signers is a good check and balance system to develop for accounting, and it is for the protection of all members and officers.
  • It is recommended that organization request an EIN # through through IRS and register the bank account through the organization in this way.
  • It is very important to have the signature cards at local banks changed each time a new officer takes over the accounting, and it is a procedure that the banks expect to be completed. It will be beneficial to provide documentation when verifying executive board changes to the bank.
  • Treasurers must give receipts to all members for monies received (including dues) and provide members with an accounting of expenditures on a weekly or monthly basis.
  • It is a good idea to have someone outside of your organization audit off-campus accounts on a semester or annual basis. This is especially true when there is a change in officers. Your RSO must require someone other than the check signer(s) to open the bank statements each month and review them for reasonableness. Performing regular audits on your accounts frees your officers from any suspicion and limits their liability.


On-Campus Accounts Other Than SBAC/Office of Student Activities and Involvement

This type of account usually pertains to academic related student organizations that receive funding through vending accounts established by their respective departments. Monies from vending accounts are usually disbursed early in the academic year. Use of these funds must be coordinated through the main departmental office. Questions regarding procedures for using the account or disbursing funds should be directed to the appropriate departmental office.


Tax Information: For more information please

Many student organizations believe that because they are essentially non-profit and are comprised primarily of students, that they are automatically tax-exempt. Registering your organization with the Office of Student Activities and Involvement does not cover you under Central Michigan University's tax-exempt number.  Your organization is not "Tax-Exempt" unless you have applied for-and been granted that status from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you think your organization may qualify for exemption from income taxes, visit the IRS,,id=96986,00.html

Advisor Resources

Advisor Liabilitiy Statement